Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (#13): Bookish Goals for 2013

I thought about skipping this week's Top Ten Tuesday (hosted by The Broke and the Bookish), since I've been doing a lot of challenge/resolution type posts lately, but then I figured this would be a good way to summarize my start-of-the-year by putting them all in one place. Whatever your reading goals are this year, best of luck!

1. Read and review the remaining books I've gotten from FirstReadsShelf Awareness, and ARCycling in 2012.

2. Complete my Banned Books 2013 Challenge. (Making Waves level = 5 frequently challenged books)

3. Complete Sarah Reads Too Much's Back to the Classics 2013 Challenge.

4. Complete the Foodies Read 2013 Challenge. (Sous Chef level = 9-13 books)

5. Complete Emilie's Book World/Lost at Midnight's Series Catch-Up Challenge. (Series Newbie level = 1-5 series)

6. For the books I read this year, I want 90% of them to be ones I already own. I reserve the remaining 10% for a few new releases and any other review copies I may get my hands on. I'm OK with fudging this number a bit if I end up reading more borrowed books (library/friends/family), so long as they are not additional books I would keep.

7. In conjunction with all the previous goals (and particularly #6), I aim to complete Planet Pook's Embarrassment of Riches Challenge as I tackle my TBR pile (Gold level = 36 books already in my possession).

8. My overall goal for the GoodReads 2013 Reading Challenge is to read a minimum of 40 books. In 2012, I tried for 50 books, but only managed 41. I think 40 is realistic, but also high enough to cover all my other challenges!

9. Get together a list of 50 classics I want to read in the next 5 years and join The Classics Club. The books I read for #3 should be a good start!

10. This might sound counter-intuitive to what I've just written, but above all else, I aim to read for enjoyment and not out of obligation. I chose these particular challenges because they already align with what I want to be reading, not just what I feel I should be reading. Along the way, I may change my book choices because I do not want any of this to feel like "homework." I want to get my life/schedule organized a bit better so I have more time to read and I plan to enjoy every minute of it!

Once again, Happy New Year to everyone and best of luck with your own bookish goals this year!

20 comments:

  1. You are super ambitious with the challenges and clubs! Then there's me... involved with zero because I'm "afraid of commitment." Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough! I'm pretty sure no one will come knocking on my door if I fall short...but If I do manage to succeed, it will only be because there is a lot of cross-over between all of these!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with all of your challenges! They sound like a lot of fun. I only signed up for three this year, and I don't even know if I will be able to do that.

    I agree, it gets stressful if you try to read more because you think you have to then for pleasure because you want to. It's good to keep that in mind, reading is supposed to be fun and a way to escape the real world, definitely not homework. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we've all done more than enough homework over the years (though crazy as it sounds I sometimes do miss taking English classes -- not writing papers though!)

      I subscribe to updates from A Novel Challenge and I have to stop myself from even considering additional challenges because I know I'm at my limit. But still I find myself saying "Well maybe I could do that one too because I'm already planning to read a few that qualify..." Maybe next year. Good luck with the ones you chose!

      Delete
  3. Personally I think #10 is the best one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks & I think I just might agree with you Charleen!

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with goal #1. I have to catch up on my reviews for ARCycling. Feel free to come by and View My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only just discovered ARCyling so I only have 2 to review (one of which I'm still waiting for), but I don't want to end up on the ARCyling naughty list!

      Delete
  5. I love The Classics Club. They're a great group. Look forward to seeing your list. I'm pretty much the same with my resolutions. Down with those TBR piles, I say. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vikk -- I'll have to check out your Classics Club list for some inspiration!

      Delete
  6. Number 9 was an interesting goal to me. I love classic novels but feel like I hardly get round to them because of all the lovely new books that get released. Now that I've been introduced to The Classics Club, I'll be jumping on that!
    You are signed up to a lot of challenges! I wish you luck with those, aswell as all your other goals. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jade, I'm glad you'll be joining too! The Back to the Classics Challenge in #3 is much shorter if you want to get a jump-start. And have fun coming up with your Classics Club List!

      Delete
  7. The banned book challenge sounds like fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love for you to join in! You don't have to set a high goal, but I thought it would be a fun way to get ready for next year's banned books week. And if you really look at the lists, there is a lot of variety to choose from. A lot of books I never would have thought would be challenged actually have been. Even Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings have been challenged. Go figure!

      Delete
  8. I was NOT going to sign up for any more challenges... But then I saw you were participating in the Foodes Reading Challenge. What is that? I had to know more! Especially as one of my 2012 posts was a Top Ten titled 'When food and literature meet - Foodie Fiction'.... And so here I am, participating in another challenge. Think I'm going to need a big, complex, nerdy spreadsheet to plan my reading schedule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally know how you feel, but that Foodie one just looks like so much fun! I'm glad you're joining in :)

      I've been resisting the temptation to join any more challenges, although I did just stumble across the Reading Challenge Addicts challenge which challenges you to finish all your challenges - HA! I'm going to have to investigate further :)

      Delete
  9. Wow. I am in awe of your many challenges. Good luck!

    My TTT: http://shelversanon.blogspot.com/2013/01/top-10-tuesday-bookish-goals-for-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you've set some nice realistic goals. Best wishes with your challenges.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think :)