Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Shelf Control #3


Shelf Control is a weekly meme hosted by Lisa of Bookshelf Fantasies where we each share a book from our shelves we'd like to read soon. I need a break from the new releases, so this is just perfect for me! Come on and join in :)

* * * * *

My pick for this week is:

The Miseducation of Cameron Post, by Emily M. Danforth

How I got it: Amazon.com

When I got it: August 2014

Why I want to read it: This is yet another title I found out about through my interest in banned and challenged books. Last year, it made the news when a Delaware school district removed it from a summer reading list for incoming college prep and honors freshmen students. Supposedly the objection was for inappropriate language, but many people think the objections were really about the lesbian main character. The district ended up removing the list altogether (which seems a bit ridiculous since it was a list of award-winning books!), but the story was enough to put the book on a lot of people's radar -- including mine. I promptly bought the book and still it sits on my shelf -- time to read it soon!

6 comments:

  1. Great pick! This is one of my "owned but unread" books too. I've been wanting to read it ever since first hearing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do want to read this book. Man, I feel like I say that to a millinon different books. If only I had more time in a day or I could read faster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have been inspired to buy books that are banned. This does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're just so much interesting once a fuss has been made, aren't they?

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think :)