Monday, September 28, 2015

Show Your Shelves Some Love Challenge: September Update + The Perils of Book Hoarding

OK, I'm starting right off the bat and admitting I have gotten completely off track with this challenge. I took a blogging break after my son was born in the spring and while I was gone (and unaccountable without my usual monthly update posts!), I ended up on a bit of a book-buying binge. They were mostly bargain books, so my wallet isn't hurting too badly, but my shelves most certainly are! I cannot even bring myself to count up the number of new additions since my last update. Honestly, I don't think I even really want to know.

But instead of throwing the towel in altogether, I'm going to hit the metaphorical restart button and aim to finish out the year recommitted to showing my shelves some love! I'm not going to limit myself to books already on my shelves before this challenge started in January, but will choose from any of the books I currently own. I plan to severely curtail any new purchases going forward and will still use my library, but not quite as much as I have been. I recently decided to return to my blogging roots and have put my TBR number on my sidebar as a continued reminder to read what I already have. 

Unfortunately, I think this update perfectly illustrates this month's discussion topic -- the perils of book hoarding. Book shopping often has a snowball effect for me. So if I give in and buy one or two, before you know it the stack of new books has multiplied beyond reason. And while learning about and acquiring new books is a fun part of being a book lover, it takes away from time I could actually be reading which is just a crying shame! Read more, buy less -- I think that needs to be my mantra from here on out!

8 comments:

  1. Good luck! You can do it! So proud you aren't just throwing in the towel, because that is always a tempting idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay! Words of encouragement always help too :) And yes, it is very tempting, but definitely not for the best!

      Delete
  2. Yea I can definitely see buying having a snowball effect. Congrats on your sweet new addition! I had mine almost a year ago and he has helped me with this challenge since I have no time to read I don't buy new books either lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's definitely interesting making time to read with a little one :)

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean. Once I pick up a book or two, it's so much easier to keep adding to that stack. Good luck with meeting your goal for the rest of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! And it really is a vicious cycle...well if I already got one...what's a couple more? Not where I really want to be at though!

      Delete
  4. You can do it! Welcome back. :)

    Terri M., the Director
    Second Run Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri! The encouragement is most appreciated :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think :)