Sunday, September 27, 2015

Kicking off Banned Books Week 2015

This year, Banned Books Week runs from September 27th to October 3rd. As many of you may already know, banned books are a major bookish interest of mine. I am lucky to live in a country where books are not banned or censored by the government, but that doesn't stop books from being challenged in libraries or schools -- often unsuccessfully, but not always. I am a big believer in the freedom to read. I also firmly believe it is every parent's right to decide what books their own kids can or cannot read -- or at what age they feel their kids can read a particular book. I don't think one parent should get to decide what an entire class or school reads, and I definitely don't think the objections of a few should get a book pulled from library shelves.

Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association.

I'd like to think when my son gets old enough that I will allow him to read freely and use books about tough subject as opportunities for discussion. A bit idealistic for a brand new mom of a 5 month old perhaps, but I don't think books are something to be afraid of. Books often portray ideas, situations, decisions, etc. that we don't like or agree with, but I don't think I will do my kid any favors by pretending these things don't exist out there in the real world.

If you are so inclined, celebrate Banned Books Week by reading a title from one of the ALA's frequently challenged lists. I'm planning to read at least one myself and hopefully more!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Banned Books Week to you. I agree your thoughts about book banning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Christine! :D I hope to be the same way too some day when I am a mom when it comes to what my child reads.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think :)