Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Shelf Control #1


Lisa over at Bookshelf Fantasies is introducing a brand new meme that is so darn perfect for me right now I could hardly believe the timing of it! Instead of focusing on new releases as a few long-standing Wednesday memes do, she's going to focus on sharing books she already owns but hasn't read yet.

For me, the hardest part about reading from my own shelves is choosing what to pick up next. I'm spoiled for choice really and it's time to show some appreciation for all the books I already have. This is one step toward returning to my blogging "roots" which I'm going to talk about a bit more in an upcoming post.

So without further ado, my first pick:

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, by Judy Blume

How I got it: Amazon.com

When I got it: June 2014

Why I want to read it: This is one of those classic YA books I had always heard about, but never read. Last year, I saw the gorgeous new cover redesigns and decided it was finally time to add some Judy Blume to my collection. AND this book is a frequently challenged title and banned books are kind of my thing. Banned Books Week starts September 27th this year, so it's time to finally read this one!

* * * * *

So come on and join in! Breathe some life back into those books collecting dust on the shelves and rediscover a hidden gem waiting for you in your own TBR stacks :)

15 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I haven't seen the new cover for Are You There God... before. I love that it's being kept fresh after so many years! Thanks so much for joining in for Shelf Control! I'm really trying to refocus on my shelves and all the goodies that I already have, just waiting to be read. Of course, seeing other people's picks may just tempt me to add even more books to my shelves! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great?

      Thanks for hosting! And I can see checking out everyone else's posts will be a test of willpower!

      Delete
  2. I love everything about this post! What a great meme idea! I need to do this. I read mostly new stuff and I don't read enough of those books on my shelves that I never got around to reading. I don't have too many, but I have enough that I should be reading them more often. I agree with you, sometimes having too many choices of what to read next is a bad thing. Good luck and enjoy your book! I honestly don't think I ever read that, or maybe I did when I was younger and I jut don't remember. Happy reading Christine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay -- I'd love to see what's been hiding on your shelves! It is often easier to reach for the stack of library books because it is a more limited selection of choices and due dates make it easier to decide what to read next. I won't be giving up my library visits, but my shelves need to make it into the rotation more often!

      Delete
  3. And maybe you'll read Summer Sisters too and finally discover why I love that book. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was supposed to be a winky face, not question marks.

      Delete
    2. Haha, true! I'll have to get to that one eventually, but of all the books on my shelves, I don't have a copy of that one :)

      Delete
  4. I read this when I was young. I've been considering a reread for Banned Books Week. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea for a meme! I know I read this book in middle school, but I honestly don't remember much about it at all. Must mean I need to reread it sometime in the future...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice short one too -- perfect for a quick re-read! This was just the meme I needed...not that I NEED to do any memes, but I do enjoy them and I just needed something that doesn't encourage me to seek ou t more new titles!

      Delete
  6. The idea behind the meme is really interesting - the book community does tend to focus a lot on new releases and for the most part I read a lot of older books and so it's good see those kinds of reads getting some attention. I can see why you want to participate in this meme!

    I feel like Judy Blume is quite big in terms of readership when it comes to the US but isn't as big in the UK as I hear a lot of US bloggers talking about how important Judy Blume was to their reading during childhood. I'll have to check her books out at some point!

    All Things Bookish – Jade Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I think I just got swept up in the new books and it's time to take a step back.

      I've never read her either, so I'd be curious to see what we both think of her!

      Delete
  7. I always have trouble deciding which book to read from my shelves too! There are so many more options when you're mood reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And I think my problem with being a mood reader is that I'm often in the mood for a book when I buy it...but then the mood changes!

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think :)