Friday, December 18, 2015

A Classics Christmas

Since it is my son's first Christmas this year, I have been wanting more than ever to continue with some holiday traditions. Of course, he's not quite 8 months old yet and won't remember any of it, but still, there are certain things I like to do to get in the Christmas spirit. It's more challenging this year to actually do those things while also taking care of a baby, but I keep reminding myself that there is no such thing as "perfect" and that there is also no need for "perfect."

While I do believe that Christmas is really about the intangibles -- love and family and hope and joy -- it has been so much fun doing some of the other stuff too. And you're mostly here for the books, right? So while I don't read any specific Christmas story every year, I like to read something Christmas-related during December. This year, with the help of this list, I decided to dive into some classic Christmas stories. I mostly chose ones I had hidden in my home "library", but there are some other great suggestions on that list as well. A lot of these are in the public domain and available as free or inexpensive ebooks if you're looking for a last minute holiday read.


Charles Dickens

O. Henry
  • The Gift of the Magi

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Grimm's Fairy Tales
  • The Elves and the Shoemaker

Hans Christian Anderson Fairy Tales & Stories
  • The Steadfast Tin Soldier
  • The Little Match Girl (This one is super sad.)
  • The Fir Tree (Also kind of sad -- it really is true that fairy tales are pretty dark!)
  • The Snow Queen

Picture Books

Of course, we have also read a lot of newer Christmas picture books, but I thought I'd stick to the "classics" for this list. Do you have any favorite holiday reads? Please share in the comments. And don't forget to enter my Christmas giveaway! (Ends midnight on Sunday)

8 comments:

  1. I always like to read at least one Christmasy book a year, but don't normally do a classic, although I do love A Christmas Carol. I do watch classic Christmas movies every year! White Christmas is always a good one. I hope you are having so much fun with your son doing all the Christmas stuff you can get to. He may not remember, but you will. Merry Christmas and happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think White Chrismtas is on Netflix -- I really should watch it again! *We* have watched a lot of holiday cartoons though and they are so fun. Merry Christmas Kay!

      Delete
    2. It is on Netflix! I know because I was too lazy to pull out my DVD the other day to watch it lol.

      John owns my favorite childhood Christmas book to read. Although I don't really do books for Christmas, I also watch White Christmas and Love Actually.

      Delete
    3. Love Actually is a great Christmas movie. I'd like to watch it again this year, but we'll see if I get to it!

      Delete
  2. Such a great list. I always tell myself to read more Christmas-y books, but always fail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think that's why I really gravitated toward the short stories, fairy tales, and novellas this year -- lots of Christmas stories, but in small packages :)

      Delete
  3. The Gift of the Magi is one of the few short stories that stuck with me beyond high school. As an adult, I appreciate the sacrifices made by the characters.

    Terri M., the Director
    SecondRunReviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I read it in my freshman English class. Definitely a timeless tale that you can only appreciate more as we grow older.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think :)