Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Award & Book Lists for my Reading Log

Last week, I shared my new reading log and the printable pages I'm using to track my reading in 2018. I really enjoy sitting down with paper and pen to do this, so I'm quite happy with how it's working out so far. I still log some basics on my Goodreads account, but there's a lot more I can keep track of this way without spending extra time on my phone or computer -- so that's a win for me.

I already covered my book budget, book clubs, reading challenges, and tracking categories (book type, source, format, recommendations, etc.) in that last post, so today I just want to focus on my final two sections. I've made one section for awards lists and another for recommendation and "best of" lists that have caught my eye. I had a ton of links cluttering up my browser's bookmark folders -- and let's be honest, I hardly ever looked at them! So I did a big clean out, deleted a whole bunch, and just printed the ones I'm most interested in. 

Each person will have their own taste in book lists and awards, but below are a few of the ones I put in my binder if you want to check any of them out. Whatever type of list you like, I highly recommend printing them out if you are able. I think it's much more likely we will read more from these lists if we can actually see them, refer to them, and mark them up than to have them hidden away in a digital folder -- or maybe that's just me :)

Recommendation Lists:

Read-Aloud Revival's Booklists
(free registration to access PDF lists of lots of great categories!)

NPR's Top 100 Teen Books 

Award Lists:
Note: Most award links are to Wikipedia since they're the most streamlined for printing purposes

E.B. White Read Aloud Award + 2017 winners

National Book Award for Young People's Literature

Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction
(full-length novels by female authors, written in English, & published in the UK)

Jane Addams Children's Book Award
(children's books advance the causes of peace and social equality)

The 2018 winners for the following ALA awards will be announced soon, so I'm holding off on printing them for now!

Michael L. Printz Award
(YA book of literary merit)

Odyssey Award
(children's & YA audiobooks)

Alex Award
(adult books with appeal to YA audience)

Coretta Scott King Award
(outstanding African American authors & illustrators; books about the African-American experience)

* * * * *

Do you have any favorite awards or recommendations lists? Please share in the comments! I just might need to add a few more pages :)

6 comments:

  1. I don't have anything to add to your list. But thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I just saved this post for future reference, because 90% of your lists are kid book related, so how could I not?? I also love the idea of printing them out to keep track. I've got a page in my bullet journal for tracking my Newbery reads, which someday I'll post about. But almost all of your lists sound like ones I want to accomplish. How many can I be working on at once without going crazy? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think they are a good resource Julie! I'd love to see that Newbery bullet journal post someday! I'm fascinated by how other readers track, journal, etc. And I have a bit of a Newbery post up my sleeve soon too -- I'll have to work on that :)

      I'm trying to look at a lot of these lists as inspiration rather than strictly checklists -- especially the really long ones like the National Book Award -- but it sure can be tempting to want to check them all off! The picture book lists for sure I want to complete, so long as I can get most of them from the library :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think :)