Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookstores

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookstores by Jen Campbell
Series: Not per se, but there is a 2nd volume out in the UK
Publisher: Overlook
Date: Sept. 13, 2012
How did I get this book? borrowed from library
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
GoodReads | Author | Publisher

WARNING: This book will cause uncontrollable laughter. Do not read in public if cracking up in front of strangers is something that embarrasses you. If you are supposed to be doing something else, but want to surreptitiously read a book instead, don't choose this one because you will totally get busted. Don't hide this one inside War & Peace and expect to get away with it. Seriously. You've been warned.
* * * * *
Words can hardly express my love for this book! I first heard about it when Kay of It's a Book Life shared a link to an excerpt featuring 10 different snippets in one of her bookish news posts. I knew right away I had to read it and immediately put in a request at my library. Two days later I picked it up and had to force myself to not read it in one sitting because I wanted the enjoyment to last just a bit longer. I had been plodding though a bit of a slow book and this was just the break I needed. I brought it with me to my grandmother's house Mother's Day weekend and some of my more bookish relatives were laughing along with me as I read out some of my favorite passages. My aunt took it up to bed with her and finished it that night!

It's a slim volume and anyone who loves books and bookstores will get a kick out of it. If you've ever worked in a bookstore, other retail establishment, or any job that deals with the public, you will get a kick out of it. If you're amazed by the foolishness that comes out of people's mouths sometimes, you will most definitely get a kick out of it. A few of the anecdotes in the chapter 'Customers Behaving Badly' were more appalling than funny, but all of them will leave you have shaking your head and asking yourself, "How could someone really say that?!" You will appreciate your neighborhood booksellers all the more after reading this one, that's for sure. Read. This. Book. Just do it, because I can't imagine you would possibly regret it. :)

Oh, and the author also has a Tumblr that will make your day if you're a book lover.
______________________________
This book counts toward my reading goals for:
2013 Books About Books Challenge

16 comments:

  1. I have to read this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Cym's. Thanks for sharing - this sounds like a book I'd enjoy! :-)

    Create With Joy
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're a book lover, you definitely will! And if you're in need of a good laugh, this is definitely one to check out :)

      Delete
  3. I went over to read the Tumblr before coming back to comment - I'm guessing there aren't so many (if any) pictures in the book? Love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No photos, but there are some illustrations. The book is different from the Tumblr -- it's basically a collection of converstations between book sellers and customers, so it's mostly written. The Tumblr is definitely different, but entertaining for sure!

      Delete
  4. OMG I didn't know she had a tumblr...checking this out now.

    I can't wait to read this. So I can reminisce with you. I'm waiting for a copy from the library.

    I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it lived up to your expectations. I need to tell my mom about this one.

    Thanks for the mention. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tumblr is great! And I can't wait to hear your thoughts -- I just know you're going to love it :) My own mom doesn't generally gravitate toward humor since she thinks a lot of it is "inappropriate," but this was right up her alley and she was laughing right along with the rest of us, which was really nice -- I hope your mom enjoys it too!

      Delete
  5. Adding it to my wish list! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It's perfect light summer reading and I really think you'll get a kick out of it.

      Delete
  6. Christine, thanks for stopping by and linking in. I have now signed up to follow you. HOpe to see you again soon. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a lot of fun. THANKS for sharing. Going to check out her Tumblr page too.

    Stopping by from Carole's Books You Loved June Edition. I am in the list as #31.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Entry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good, I hope you get around to it! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  8. Great review, this has been on my TBR pile for a while, but your review just makes me want to get to it sooner. Sounds like a crack up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracey -- it was really excellent! Even if you have a huge TBR pile, this is a very quick read, so I definitely recommend squeezing it in if you can :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think :)