Monday, July 2, 2018

Please Help a Reader Out! -- Summer Reading Recommendations Request

The kid in me who loved summer reading growing up is thrilled that my local library has a program for adults as well! Last year, I signed up, but I must admit I only participated half-heartedly. I have little memory of what the categories were, but I do remember that they didn't fit in all that well with my summer reading plans, so I only managed to cross a few off. A lackluster last summer did not stop my enthusiasm for this year's program though and I signed up as soon as summer reading started. I refuse to read a book I have no interest in for the sake of checking a box, but I figure if I put in some effort now to figure out titles I DO want to read that fit the categories I'll be able to participate more fully.

So, I've been combing my shelves (and the library) for titles that fit categories that stumped me when I first glanced over this summer's BINGO card. The most difficult one for me so far -- and the one I most need YOUR help with! -- is A Book Set in the Mountains. I have discovered it is not as easy as one might think to find a book based on setting. This particular setting seems pretty specific, but since it could be any mountains, it's actually rather broad which has made searching challenging. I have a whole bunch of books with flap copy mentioning wilderness, the woods, rural areas, etc., that might qualify, but its been awfully hard to determine if they are actually set in the mountains without diving in. So, please help a reader out and leave a comment if you've read or know of any Adult or Young Adult Fiction titles set in the mountains. I actually came up with some middle grade titles I know would work, but I'm trying not to let myself off too easy! So far the only book on my shelves I think would work is Those Who Wish Me Dead, by Michael Koryta.

Three other categories I know I won't have trouble completing are A Book Published in 2018A Book of Historical Fiction, and A Book That Became a Movie. BUT I'd love to hear if you have any favorites to recommend for those categories as well. (Bonus points if you enjoyed both the book and the movie, because we are supposed to both read and watch for the movie category!)

* * * * *

Does your library have a summer reading program for adults? And THANK YOU for any recs you are able to share :) :)

8 comments:

  1. Wild by Cheryl Strayed would fit either for mountains or book/movie and is an excellent read. Those Who Wish Me Dead would also work for mountains. Pretty good read. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey is terrific and fits Mountains setting,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve been wanting to try Eowyn Ivey — I’ll have to check that one out! I may just end up with the one on my shelf, so glad to know it does fit the theme — thank you!

      Delete
  2. Wild came to mind for me as well :) I can't think of any others though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I should have thought of this one LOL Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Happiness for Beginners is one of my all-time favorite books and is set in the mountains! The heroine goes on a hiking trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh I remember you writing about that one — I will have to consider it!

      Delete
  4. I've never read them, but Jan Karon's Mitford series is rumored to be set in Blowing Rock in the mountains of North Carolina. Sounds like a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think :)