Saturday, April 7, 2018

#TheUnreadShelfProject2018: April Challenge

Even though I didn't enjoy the book I chose for The Unread Shelf Project's March challenge as much as I had hoped, I really enjoyed the challenge itself. Choosing a book, giving it a deadline, and committing to getting rid of it if I didn't finish really worked for me. In the end, I did finish it, but decided to pass it on anyway -- and that's OK!

April's challenge is nearly the same, but with one added criteria: choose the book that's been on our shelves the longest. Yikes! It's OK if you can't remember precisely your oldest book, so the idea is to choose one you at least know has been there a really long time. Looking over my shelves, I immediately recognized two candidates for that honor Daughter of Fortune, by Isabel Allende and Back Roads, by Tawni O'Dell. These were both Oprah's Book Club picks and a quick Google search tells me they were the selections for February and March 2000. I was only 14 at the time, so it's not like I was running out to buy the books and then read them according to Oprah's schedule. BUT, I distinctly remember watching those episodes and being completely fascinated by the whole book club idea. I was only just dipping my toe into "adult" books at the time and I loved Oprah, so I was pretty convinced I would want to read all her recommendations at some point.

I don't know exactly when I bought these two books, but I know that for many years the Oprah's Book Club sticker on a cover held a lot of sway for me. I most likely found them on the bargain table at the Waldenbooks at our local mall while shopping with my BFF sometime during highschool. Or possibly while combing the bargain shelves at the Barnes & Noble down the street from my college. I graduated college in 2007, so either way, they have been around a longgg time. Debating between the two, I settled on Back Roads because I can't tell you how many times I've had it in my hand to give away... and then decided to keep it. It's time to decide its fate once and for all!


I read two chapters before bed last night and don't have any strong feelings yet. It's definitely outside of my usual wheelhouse, but it's interesting enough so far and the writing is good, so we shall see! Have you read this one before? Let me know in the comments!

* * * * *

Join or follow along here:
Whitney @theunreadshelf on Instagram

8 comments:

  1. I chose The Library Card, which I started reading, but never finished. I'm going to give it another try and then if I don't want to finish it. I'm going to get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a book about books (usually... some have been duds of course!) I just love this project -- thanks for sharing your pick :)

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, I use to watch for the announcement of the Oprah's Book Club book and would read them all for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I have no idea what book has been on my shelves the longest, but now I'm really curious to figure that out. I really love these different ways to go about tackling your unread books. Hopefully one of these months I'll actually participate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know which one you've had (roughly) the longest if you can figure it out! I really liked this challenge and I can see myself doing it again. I can hardly believe I actually finished (and only it only took a few days!) after staring at it so long! But now it's onto the used bookstore to find a new home -- I'm glad I read it, but it wasn't a keeper!

      Delete
  4. Oh that's an interesting spin on this challenge! I'm going to have to go try and figure out which book I've had the longest now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! It really felt good to complete a book I knew I had on my shelves a really long time. And there's no requirement to finish it -- giving it a go and knowing it's one you should ditch still gets it off your unread shelf!

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think :)