Thursday, December 21, 2017

2018 Modern Mrs. Darcy Reading Challenge: Sign-Up Post

I know, I know. I said I was done with challenges. But I'm making one exception. Anne Bogel recently launched the eighth year of her Modern Mrs. Darcy Reading Challenge though this is actually my first year joining. I've seen it in the past, but always skipped it because I felt I had already joined too many other challenges -- which I most certainly had! But I only joined three this year focusing on children's books, so this one really resonated with me when Anne explained her reasons for bringing it back. Apparently she was seriously thinking about not doing a challenge for 2018, but I'm really glad she changed her mind! I'm paraphrasing as best I can from my memory of her Instagram story, but basically Anne said her goals are to help people: get more out of their reading lives, get better at choosing books that will be great reading experiences, establish a reading habit, make time for reading, and focus on quality over quantity. So I decided this was exactly what I needed for my "adult" reading in 2017.

I do have a pretty well established reading habit, but it's almost all kid-lit lately. I love kid-lit, but I've realized I am seriously out of the habit of choosing titles outside of Middle Grade and Picture Books. They are generally less of a time commitment, so my reading outside of those categories has been steadily declining. I'm not abandoning kid-lit by any means, but I'd like to make more time and space for great adult and young adult titles in the new year -- and this seems like just the thing to help me do that!

More info & sign-up on the Modern Mrs Darcy site!
Image from Modern Mrs. Darcy

Are you joining for 2018? If you're looking for a category based challenge, I can't think of a better one. Anne carefully chose the 12 categories based on feedback of what has actually worked for real readers. Plus, there are all kinds of fun goodies to download when you join like a phone wallpaper, bookmarks, and goal trackers. Here's to a year of great reading!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun challenge, and you have very logical reasons to sign up. No need to feel guilty about adding another challenge! ;) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think :)