Monday, August 21, 2017

Joining the Diverse Books Club


I discovered the blog Top Shelf Text a few months ago when Madeline was a guest on the Modern Mrs. Darcy podcast What Should I Read Next? I mainly use Instagram for friends and family, but I do follow a few bookstagrammers and Anne Bogel convinced me to check out Madeline's account. I very much enjoy Madeline's posts and stories, but it's her brand-new Diverse Books Club launching in September I want to tell you about today.

With everything going on in our county and our world, I am fully aware that just reading books is not enough. But I do feel strongly that education and empathy are important pieces and that books can play a role in both of those. There is a lot more information in the introductory post on Top Shelf Text, but in short, this is meant to be a group of readers who are "dedicated to learning about the world and our fellow humans. We value diversity in all its forms. Our mission is to be those worthy role models that our children deserve." 

Madeline and her co-moderator are both teachers and will soon be joined by an additional team of moderators who are passionate about this project and who also bring a diversity of perspectives to the group. I can't say for sure how it will all work out, but I am eager to join with an open mind. 

JOIN IN!
Head over to Top Shelf Text for more info and to see the middle grade, YA, and adult September selections. The children's book selections are over on Miss Magee's Reads.

On Instagram @diversebooksclub
On Goodreads at Diverse Books Club

8 comments:

  1. Awesome! I don't know if I'll make time for this or not, but I'm definitely checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check it out! I don't know how much time I will realistically have either, but the fact that there is a range of books from picture books to adult novels really leaves it pretty wide open. My personal plan is to definitely read the picture books each month and try for one other, most likely the middle grade. Though I have the YA and adult books out from the library too, I think I may be being a bit over ambitious for this first month! If I don't keep up with the schedule, I still like having the recommendations and know I can revisit the discussion threads later on if I read a book at a later time.

      Delete
  2. This is pretty great! I read The Hate U Give and it was such an important story and was really well written. I shall try to read one of the other books as well and check out the discussion on Goodreads. I am really glad you brought this to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You're welcome :) And you're ahead of the game if you already read one of the books :)

      Delete
  3. I love this idea. Thanks for putting it on our radar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Agreed! I'm loving the picture book category and the one novel I read so far was a page-turner and extremely thought-provoking.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think :)