Thursday, December 15, 2016

2017 Banned Books Challenge

It's that time of year again when all the 2017 reading challenges start popping up across the blogosphere. I hosted the Banned Books Challenge for the past four years, but my time for hosting has now come to an end. I am very happy to report that Book Dragon's Lair has graciously taken over though. So head on over to check out the 2017 challenge and sign up! 13 readers have already joined and I would like to wish her all the best as the new host.

Now hosted by Book Dragon's Lair!

I'd also like to take a minute to thank each and every person who has participated over the past four years or who has read along with any of the Banned Book Challenge stuff I have posted. When I decided to create a reading challenge, I didn't really know what I was doing and never imagined I would have so many fellow readers join me. So THANK YOU! The sign-up posts for 2014, 2015, and 2016 are my three all-time most viewed posts on this blog with 2015 leading the pack. That was the year Bustle featured my challenge (I mean, what?! I'm still amazed by that!) and while 2015 is long over, I STILL get traffic from that post on a regular basis. Whoever noticed this challenge on this tiny corner of the internet and thought it was worth sharing with other readers, thank you, too!

I am still an advocate for the freedom to read and I think that it is more important than ever to make sure that books aren't censored. Each person has the right to choose what they do or do not want to read for themselves and their own children, but they should not be able to make that decision for everyone else. And as this wonderful piece recently reminded me, many books are supposed to make us uncomfortable. So read on, my friends!

Don't join the book burners. Don't think you're going to conceal faults by concealing evidence that they ever existed. Don't be afraid to go in your library and read every book...” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think :)