Tuesday, December 20, 2016

2016 Reading Challenge Wrap-Ups

I'm working on plans for 2017, so that must mean it's time to wrap things up for 2016! These challenges all have some time left and while I may tack a few extra books on in the next week and a half, it won't really make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. I will, however, update this post with my final, final numbers after December 31st -- for my own information more than anything!

Goal: 300 365 books
Progress as of 12/20/16: 418 books
Final Total: 443 books
DONE!
I upped my goal even more since the year's halfway mark. Including all books (picture books, etc.) is why my goal has been so high. At an average of a book a day though, I left 365 as my final goal even when I surpassed it with plenty of time left in the year.


Show Your Shelves Some Love Challenge
Goal: 51+ books I owned prior to 2016
Progress as of Dec 20th: 29 books I owned prior to 2016
Final Total: 30 books I owned prior to 2016
Not gonna make it! I'm actually only two books away from the next level, but there's not much chance of getting that far, forget all the way to 51! Looking forward to hitting the reset button and trying again in 2017.

Goal: 80-100% of books I buy in 2016
Progress as of Dec 20th: 25% of books I bought in 2016
Final Percentage: 29% of books I bought in 2016
Hopefully I didn't make any record-keeping errors for this one, but 25% sounds about right. I might be able to budge this one slightly in the next 11 days, but any significant jump is not likely. I'm really looking forward to doing better on this one next year. 

Goal: 60-74 points
Progress as of Dec 20th: 47 points
Final Total47 points
13 points is kind of a lot to make up, but this one feels so close! I have some Caldecott books on hold from the library we will likely read before the end of the year, so this one may see a bit of a bump before the official end of the year. (The list is super long, so titles only!)

1. Frog and Toad Together (2 pts)
2. The Crossover (3 pts)
3. Kitten's First Full Moon (1 pt)
4. The Little House (1 pt)
5. Jumanji (1 pt)
6. Where the Wild Things Are (1 pt)
7. Flora and Ulysses (3 pts)
8. Cinderella (1 pt)
9. Slyvester and the Magic Pebble (1 pt)
10. The Man Who Walked Between the Towers (1 pt)
11. The Invention of Hugo Cabret (1 pt)
12. Golem (1 pt)
13. Finding Winnie (1 pt)
14. Tuesday (1 pt)
15. Last Stop on Market Street (3 pts)
16. Madeline's Rescue (1 pt)
17. The One and Only Ivan (3 pts)
18. Roller Girl (2 pts)
19. The Lion and the Mouse (1 pt)
20. This is Not My Hat (1 pt)
21. Locomotive (1 pt)
22. The House in the Night (1 pt)
23. A Sick Day for Amos McGee (1 pt)
24. A Ball for Daisy (1 pt)
25. Time of Wonder (1 pt)
26. My Friend Rabbit (1 pt)
27. The Three Pigs (1 pt)
28. The Hello, Goodbye Window (1 pt)
29.The Snowy Day (1 pt)
30. Joseph Had a Little Overcoat (1 pt)
31. Officer Buckle and Gloria (1 pt)
32. Owl Moon (1 pt)
33. Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears (1 pt)
34. Lon Po Po (1 pt)
35. Grandfather's Journey (1 pt)
36. Snowflake Bentley (1 pt)
37. Rapunzel (1 pt)
BONUS PICK: Reading the Art in Caldecott Books

Goal: 3-6 series
Progress as of Dec 20th: 6 series
Final Total6 series
DONE!
I'm kind of shocked I completed my goal on this one! I included picture book series and graphic novel/comic series which certainly helped. And I counted Harry Potter and the Cursed Child as completing that series as well. I don't know if others would count those, but for my own goals, I say they counted. I actually have the latest Lumberjanes out from the library right now, so I may even get up to 7 before the end of the year!

1. The Diviners series, by Libba Bray
2. Saga series, by Brian Vaughan & Fiona Staples
3. Journey trilogy, by Aaron Becker
4. Complete Peter Rabbit collection, by Beatrix Potter
5. Complete Curious George collection, by Margret & H.A. Rey
6. Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling

Goal: 6-9 banned or challenged books
Progress as of Dec 20th: 6 banned or challenged books
Final Total: 7 banned or challenged books
DONE!
It's always nice to complete your own challenge, right? Especially since this was my last year hosting, I'm glad I ended on a high note. I may (finally) finish the illustrated edition of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets before the end of the year, so perhaps I will get an extra on this challenge as well.

1. Where the Wild Things Are, by Maurice Sendak
2. Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, by William Steig
3. Winnie the Pooh, by A.A. Milne
4. The House at Pooh Corner, by A.A. Milne
5. The House on Mango Street, by Sandra Cisneros
6. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, by J.K. Rowling
7. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, by J.K. Rowling

P.S. These are some strange books to be challenged, don't you think?!

P.P.S. Technically, I finished HP and the Chamber of Secrets on January 1st, but I'm counting it for 2016 because so little was left it seems like cheating to count it for 2017 -- and I've got to put it somewhere!

Goal: 10 uniquely formatted books
Progress as of Dec 20th: 8 uniquely formatted books
Final Total8 uniquely formatted books
Not quite going to make it on this one! I thoroughly enjoyed all the books I did read for this challenge and plan to read more of them in the future.

1. The Crossover, by Alexander Kwame
2. A Sky Full of Kindness, by Rob Ryan
3. The Invention of Hugo Cabret, by Brian Selznick
4. Wonderstruck, by Brian Selznick
5. The Marvels, by Brian Selznick
6. Illuminae, by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
7. Flora and Ulysses, by Kate DiCamillo
8. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, by J.K. Rowling, et al

Goal: Track my reading and donate to a different organization at least once per quarter
ProgressOn track!
I got a bit behind on tracking this one, but have since caught up. So far I've chosen St. Jude's Children's Research HospitalReading Is FundamentalFINCA, and Humanwire. November and December will get tallied and a final donation made after December officially ends.

* * * * *

 How did you do on your challenges or goals for 2016?

5 comments:

  1. Whilst you haven't completed all the challenges as you had hoped, I think you've done great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winnie the Pooh is a challenged book? Really? The world is strange sometimes.

    Congrats on what you've accomplished! Even if you didn't complete all the challenges, you definitely made progress in every area. And there's always 2017! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! Thanks Julie :) Definitely looking forward to 2017!

      Delete
  3. Good job on the #ShelfLove Challenge this year!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think :)