Wednesday, January 13, 2016

2016 Charity Reading Challenge


OK, this is my last challenge -- promise! I really love the idea of reading for a good cause, so I couldn't pass this one up. I am opting to track my reading and make a donation each quarter instead of buying books at a charity shop. There are two reasons for this -- first, I don't have any charity shops nearby and second, I am really trying to limit my book buying this year. I am planning to donate to Feeding America, FINCA, St. Jude's Children's Hospital, and some sort of literacy program -- probably one from this list.

Here's what I've decided on to guide my fund-raising:

25¢ per:
  • picture book -- 1st reads + Caldecott re-reads for Julie's challenge
  • young-reader's/beginner book
  • stand-alone short story

50¢ per:
  • novella
  • short non-fiction
  • most graphic novels/comic collections

$1 per:
  • novel (adult/YA/middle grade)
  • longer graphic novels & comic collections (like Blankets, etc.)
  • full-length non-fiction
  • short story collection
  • poetry collection

$5 bonus per:
(Those last two don't have set levels, so I am making my own!)

If it looks like the totals are getting higher than I anticipate, I may opt to donate more frequently to spread things out -- maybe monthly or bimonthly -- I'll see how it goes!

Click the badge above for more info or to sign up! And if you are joining this or any other challenge in 2016, I wish you the best of luck! Happy reading :)

6 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful challenge. I can see why you decided to sign up for just one more challenge. ;) You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, Kay :) I figured by book habit should do some good for someone other than just myself!

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a fabulous challenge you are participating in with money going to a worth cause or causes!!

    I also like that you are trying to limit your book buying and read what you already have on your shelves.

    Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This just seemed like a fun way to support some great causes :)

      Delete
  3. What an awesome idea! Reading books can too save the world! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I can't take the credit for the idea, but I definitely had to sign-up and participate :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think :)