Thursday, December 3, 2015

Shelf Control #6


Shelf Control is a weekly meme hosted by Lisa of Bookshelf Fantasies where we each share a book from our shelves we'd like to read soon. I need a break from the new releases, so this is just perfect for me! Come on and join in :)

* * * * *

My pick for this week is:

A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens
Illustrated by Robert Ingpen

How I got it: Amazon.com

When I got it: August 2010 -- Eek! While it's convenient to be able to look up when I purchased a book online, it also reminds me just how long I've been meaning to read some of these titles.

Why I want to read it: I first read A Christmas Carol for a high school English class and absolutely loved it. As I sat reading it in my parents' living room by the Christmas tree before winter break, I think I actually forgot it was both a classic and homework -- no mean feat! I've since re-read it on audio, but have been meaning for the last five Christmases to use this beautiful illustrated edition for a re-read. This will be the year! And then (hopefully!) onto the rest of the Sterling Illustrated Classics I've been collecting.

6 comments:

  1. That looks like a lovely edition! I've never read A Christmas Carol, but after seeing an amazing stage production a couple of years ago, I've been meaning to finally give it a try. I think I need to check out these Sterling Illustrated Classics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is such a lovely Christmas book! I hope you give it a try :)

      I started with the Sterling Illustrated Classics 5 yeas ago when I found this one and they only had a few out that I was aware of, but I recently discovered that a whole bunch more have been published and I just can't resist! I've even bought ones I already had other editions of...and passed along my other copies. I keep thinking if I just had the *right* copy of some of these books I will be inspired to pick them up...it will work one of these day! lol

      Delete
  2. I first read the book in 8th grade I think... I enjoyed it! I hope you enjoy it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book this week - for the first time ever! Apparently, none of my teachers ever assigned it as homework. It was great, and your edition looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great isn't it? I'm about halfway through and I really am loving the illustrations :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think :)