Tuesday, December 29, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge Wrap-Ups

By this time of year, I'm usually doing pretty poorly on my challenge goals, so I don't always care to write wrap-up posts to enumerate just how poorly. (Why do I join these, again?!?) But this year, even though I once again felt I didn't do so well, I thought I would do the tallies anyway since I only joined 5 challenges. And I must say, I didn't do as badly as I thought I had! I didn't review most of these books, but the actual reading of them is what I personally care most about. Now, I can really start planning for 2016!


Goal: 6 categories
Completed: 2 categories

1. A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens (a classic novella)
2. A whole slew of classic picture books (a classic children's book)

OK, I did the worst on this challenge, so let's get it out of the way first. I don't know if I will do this one again in 2016. Either way, I want to revisit my Classics Club list and recommit to it. I don't want the classics to get completely lost in the shuffle -- I own too many I really want to read!

----------------------------------


Goal: Rabble-Rouser Level, 6-9 books
Completed: 10 books!

1. Saga, Vol. 1, by Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples
2. Saga, Vol. 2, by Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples
3. Saga, Vol. 3, by Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples
4. Saga, Vol. 4, by Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples
5. And Tango Makes Three, by Justin Richardson
6. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin, Jr.
7. Hop on Pop, by Dr. Seuss
8. The Lorax, by Dr. Seuss
10. Tiger Eyes, by Judy Blume

Surprised to see some of those picture books on my list? Yea, they may not be frequently challenged, but I've found them on a few banned/challenged childrens' books list. Crazy, right? Look out for a post in the new year about banned/challenged childrens' books.

----------------------------------


Goal: 2nd Shelf Level, 7-12 books
Completed: 15 books!

1. What I Know for Sure, by Oprah Winfrey
2. The Strange Library, by Haruki Murakami
3. We Should All Be Feminists, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
5. One Love, by Cedella Marley & Bob Marley
6. Flight Explorer, Vol 1, edited by Kazu Kibiushi (editor & contributor)
7. Explorer: The Mystery Boxes, by Kazu Kibiushi (editor & contributor)
8. Explorer: The Hidden Doors, by Kazu Kibiushi (editor & contributor)
9. Explorer: The Lost Islands, by Kazu Kibiushi (editor & contributor)
10. Every Little Thing, by Cedella Marley & Bob Marley
11. Between the World and Me, by Ta-Nehisi Coates
12. Mastering the Art of French Eating, by Ann Mah
13. Where Are My Books? by Debbie Ridpath Ohi
14. Copper, by Kazu Kibiushi
15. Ghosts in the House, by Kazuno Kohara

Considering how many more books I ended up reading overall this year, I know I have a lot more work to do when it comes to diversifying my reading.

----------------------------------


Goal: 8 books
Completed: 3 books

1. Outlander
2. Dragonfly in Amber
3. Voyager

Hmmmm. Yea. So, I took a head start on this challenge because I was already in the middle of a re-read before it began and Kay graciously said that was OK. But, I definitely didn't continue on as far as I would have liked! Doorstop chunksters and new babies apparently don't mix terribly well.

----------------------------------


Goal: Purple Belt Level, 31-40 books
Completed: 20 books

1. Environments Envisioned: Building Fantastic Sets and Scouting Dramatic Locations, by Jody Revenson
2. Blackwood, by Gwenda Bond
3.The Creature Shop Compendium: Flora and Fauna from the Harry Potter Films, by Jody Revenson
4. A Guide to the Graphic Arts Department: Posters, Prints, and Publications from the Harry Potter Films, by Jody Revenson
5. Wizard Wear and Muggle Attire: Costuming the World of Harry Potter, by Jody Revenson
6. Ten Years Later: Life on Set with the Harry Potter Cast and Crew, by Jody Revenson
7. Movie Magic: Practical Props and Exciting Effects, by Jody Revenson
8. Fallen (Fallen, #1), by Lauren Kate
9. Torment (Fallen, #2), by Lauren Kate
10. Passion (Fallen, #3), by Lauren Kate
11. Rapture (Fallen, #4), by Lauren Kate
12. Fallen in Love (Fallen, #3.5), by Lauren Kate
13. Voyager (Outlander, #3), by Diana Gabaldon
14. Keep Quiet, by Lisa Scottoline
15. Paper Towns, by John Green
16. We Were Liars, by E. Lockhart
17. Where the Stars Still Shine, by Trish Doller
18. Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline
20. Tiger Eyes, by Judy Blume

I took a break from blogging (and this challenge apparently) for a few months after my son was born in the spring. When I returned, I declared a reboot and said I would count any books already on my shelves at that point. But you know, that was kind of cheating! So I decided to stay true to the rules of this challenge and only count books I owned before January 1, 2015 to see (for real) how well or poorly I did. I'm not terribly disappointed with a count of 20, but I hope for this number to be much higher in 2016. If I finish the book I am in the middle of in the next two days, I can bump my count up to 21. #ShelfLove 2016 here I come -- I need this one again for sure!

----------------------------------

Did you join any year-long challenges in 2015? Are you planning to join any for 2016?

10 comments:

  1. I think you did pretty darn well at your challenges! I pretty much failed all the ones I signed up for, including my own. haha As you already know I am kind of taking a break from year long challenges in 2016. Good luck with all of your challenges in 2016!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! I feel better about joining some again in 2016 now that I actually am looking at my results. The trick for me will be making sure to pick the *right* challenges to help focus my reading. Who knows though, a break from year-long challenges may still be in my future too!

      Delete
  2. Hey you had a baby and still have the energy and time to sit and read? Cause my son is one and I still don't. So I think you did great on your challenges :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie :) To be fair, there are a lot of graphic novels, picture books, and audiobooks on these lists! I love all those types of books, but my novel reading has definitely taken a dive this year -- and that's OK :) A little one is just the best type of distraction :)

      Delete
  3. Ah, why so hard on yourself? You had a baby! Naturally reading, well of adult books, is going to take a back seat. I think you did great on your challenges and am glad you are continuing with your blog!

    I look forward to your 2016 plans!

    Reading With Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was a bit more negative in that opening than I really intended to be! Thank you Jade and you are so right. I've read so much this year, but the types of books have taken a major shift and that's OK :) I am looking forward to 2016 and seeing what it brings in terms of my own reading and reading with the little guy as he gets older and more aware :) :)

      Delete
  4. I think you did great with the #ShelfLove Challenge. I didn't meet my goal either, but I learned a lot about what triggers me to buy a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned a lot too! I'm already working on my sign up post for 2016 -- I definitely need this challenge again and a new year seems a great opportunity for a fresh start :)

      Delete
  5. We read Where Are My Books? too. It's so cute! But really, I can't wait until he starts getting older and actually having his own tastes and preferences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I completely agree! It is fun to be able to pick out all the books for him now, but I really look forward to when my little guy is more of an active participant in our reading together :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think :)