Wednesday, May 21, 2014

1,000 Feelings For Which There Are No Names

Now that Bout of Books is finished, boy do I have a lot of reviews to catch up on! One book at a time, right? Here's the first of many you'll see here over the next few weeks.

1,000 Feelings for Which There Are No Names
written by Mario Giordano, 
translated by Isabel Fargo Cole,
& illustrated by Ray Fenwick
Series? No
Publisher: Penguin
Date: May 6, 2014
How did I get this book? free from the publisher for my honest review
My Rating: 3 of 5 stars
GoodReads | Publisher

The title pretty much explains what this one is all about. It's not the kind of book to sit down and read in one sitting, but would be a lovely gift or coffee table book. It's the kind of book that is nice to dip in and out of. Many of the 1,000 feelings could be used as jumping off points for journaling, other writing, or even just discussion among friends. I could relate to (almost) all of the 1,000 feelings listed and many of them conjured up vivid memories. This is a fun book I would definitely recommend.

I'll end with just a few of my favorites from the book (my commentary in parentheses.)

127. The misgiving that the Catholic Church might turn out to be right about everything after all. (I know Christy will understand this one!)
296. The joy when the UPS guy rings. (He brings books!)
316. The yearning for the world to stop turning and this perfect summer afternoon to last forever.
389. The relief that it was just a dream.
452. The indignation of finding typos in books and magazines.
497. The wicked glee when know-it-alls screw up. (I'm married to one...)
592. The glee that you don't have to leave the house today and freeze your butt off out there. (By far the single greatest thing about working from home -- I'm spoiled, I know!)
693. The hope at the sight of teenagers reading.
929. The anticipation of a package you ordered online. (Um, yea, those are books, too...)
957. The elation of having this day all to yourself. (To read!)


_____________
Reading Challenges:
Translated
New to Me
Review Pile

10 comments:

  1. I also work from home so I know exactly what you mean about the butt freezing :p Especially in winters (which get really cold around here) I feel at times relieved not to have to get outside early in the morning when it's dark and cold. The relief that it was just a dream is also quite significant for me, I sometimes have nightmares or just bad dreams (that happened more after dad's death) and it's so good to wake up to know all this stuff isn't real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very cool you work from home too! And I find the relief upon waking from a bad dream to be quite profound -- enough bad stuff happens in real life that it's good to know some of the crazy stuff our subconscious comes up with isn't real as well. What was so cool about this book was realizing how universal many of these feelings are even if they are hard to describe sometimes.

      Delete
  2. For me, it's the anxiety when the UPS guy knocks ("Crap! Was I expecting someone?") and then the immediately subsequent rush of joy when I realize I haven't got to entertain a houseguest AND I have a package. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the examples you picked and your commentary! Very fun! I'd be a bit worried that the book itself could get boring though, if it's really just a list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think if you just sat down to read it straight through, it could be. But if you split up the reading like I did, I think it could be quite lovely. It's definitely a more unique book. The lettering and illustrations were nice additions as well instead, making it feel a bit more than just a type-written list. It can't be for everyone though :)

      Delete
  4. I love your commentary on some of the feelings...I agree with you 100%!! :) This book sounds very interesting. I will have to look at it next time I'm at the library. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! It was definitely fun to flip through -- hopefully your library gets it -- it's pretty new :)

      Delete
  5. Books that you can dip in and out of are always fun reads. As was your commentary on the feelings you referenced!

    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jade -- it was the perfect light reading :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think :)