Monday, November 4, 2013

Change is in the air

I've started so many different posts trying to figure out what's been going on with me lately and what I want this blog to be going forward. I very nearly decided to throw the towel in completely, but while that idea sadly provides some sense of relief, it's not really and truly what I want. But I also don't want to go back to how things were. What it comes down to is the fact that so many book blogs post by a "formula," so when I started failing at the "formula" and life got busy, I stopped posting regularly (or at all, really.)

What exactly is this "formula" I speak of? Full length review posts at least once a week, a few regular memes, and discussion posts whenever inspiration strikes. And along with trying to "keep up" came pressure to stay on top of my review books and to post on a consistent basis. Don't get me wrong, this is a formula that works for a lot of people, but it just isn't working for me anymore.

I was also reading Jamie's post about feeling unbalanced and it really struck a chord. While she expressed feelings of books and reading taking over too much of her life, I have a slightly different concern. I feel like too much computer time has taken over my life. I'm on the computer a big chunk of the day for work and then I also spend an alarming amount of free time either attempting to update/freshen up this blog and various other time-suck activities (facebook, email, book shopping etc. etc.) and I'm starting to feel like my head is going to explode!

Now I don't want to give this up entirely, but I want to find a way to share my love of books while also cutting back on computer time. I've been seeing more and more blogs doing a monthly round-up type post like Christine has always done over on her blog Bookishly Boisterous and I'm wondering if something like that might work better for me. At the very least, I think I need to switch over to doing more mini-reviews and finding opportunities to share pre-blog books since I feel those really help define me as a lifelong reader. I have a TON of thoughts on my impossible-to-manage TBR pile and the incredible blessing/self-imposed curse that are ARCs, but I will save those for another day.

I really appreciate you lovely readers bearing with me through all this craziness. I'm hoping to find my way back to this corner of the internet, things just need to change and adjust. I think once I let go of how I "should be" doing things, it will all work out much better in the end.

8 comments:

  1. It's tough figuring out what works and what doesn't. Good luck finding the balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to find balance. I will say that there is no right way to run your blog and I'm glad that you are trying to find what works for you! Mini reviews are always great, I actually love reading those because they are shorter. (My attention span is small and sometimes I get bored when I'm on my 20th book review for the day.) Either way whatever you do as long as you love it will be great! Good luck! It's good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I kind of suspected that a lot of readers who follow various blogs might actually prefer shorter reviews (I know I definitely appreciate a short-and-to-the-point review, at least sometimes!), but I didn't want to assume...good to know there is at least one other person out there who agrees!

      Delete
  3. Monthly reviews has been so great for me, but honestly, it's because I kinda sorta hate to read AND write reviews (I know, blasphemous as a book blogger). You totally just have to find what works for you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure some people would say it's blasphemous, but I say it's just honest! We all love to read & share a love of books, but long reviews don't work for everyone. I'm learning they're not really for me either -- at least not all the time! I'm glad to have your blog as an example of how things don't always have to be done a "certain" way.

      Delete
  4. I think I've been in this state of "figuring out what works for my blog" since I started blogging in January this year. And in all honesty, I haven't figured it out yet. I've kinda tried different approaches but nothing has hit "home". Mini-reviews are definitely something I will continue with from time to time - not because I think they will contribute greatly for audience, but because it's important for me to be on track, and if I'm sometimes overwhelmed by books I've read but not reviewed, then be it...

    I do appreciate that even though you find it hard to find the balance in your world, you still come write here sometimes. I probably would have closed the shop if I miss a few months of posts (wrong thing to do!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess "figuring it out" is a process we all go through! I'm glad I haven't closed up shop, but will be interesting to see what ends up working in the next few months.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think :)