Thursday, May 16, 2013

Spine Speak (#1): April Showers Bring May Flowers

Bookmark To Blog

I just love a creative challenge, so when I found out about this new feature from Alysia of My Little Pocketbooks, I knew I wanted in! It is hosted by Bookmark to Blog and the basic idea is to use at least 5 book titles to create a poem based on a suggested theme each month. (There are more specific rules if you want to be entered into a giveaway, or you can just have fun with it). You are more than welcome to use library books, but I've given myself the additional challenge of trying to use only books I already own (heaven knows I have enough of them!) I'm no poet laureate, but here goes nothing...

With The Passage of time,
Nights of Rain and Stars,
and Infinite Days of Splendor,
The Forgotten Garden 
transforms into Beautiful Chaos


This month's books:
The Passage, by Justin Cronin
Nights of Rain and Stars, by Maeve Binchy
Infinite Days, by Rebecca Maizel
Splendor, by Anna Godbersen
The Forgotten Garden, by Kate Morton
Beautiful Chaos, by Margaret Stohl & Kami Garcia

Next's month's theme: Happiness is...

16 comments:

  1. Very nice poem :) Especially the ending. I am soo tempted to start the Spine Speak too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should Riv! This is the first month and the challenge runs through the end of the year. Just to make it a little more tempting, if you participate in all of them you get entered for a $50 Amazon gift card. You have a week to submit your entry, so this first one's deadline is the 22nd.

      Delete
    2. Grrr... I'm building the first poem now. This is so addictive! Do you know if there are any restrictions for the amount or use of connector words? Because I didn't find any information about that. I guess one can do without, but somehow it comes together as much more poetic if you can add a few other words (like you did).

      Also I realise I have no titles resembling spring/birth/etc - it really makes you take a different look at your library!

      Delete
    3. I do believe you can use extra words. If you look at Kimberly's own post for today, you'll see she used extra words as well, so it must be alright! And yes, it really does make you look at your books differently -- I hadn't realized I didn't have a single book with the word flower in the title!

      Delete
  2. What a neat feature! I used to take lines from really famous poets like Frost and Sexton and cobble together a new pem. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea too! I remember in high school we were given an assignment to use lines from a book we were reading -- I've always thought stuff like that was fun.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, I love this idea! Really beautiful poem too, it came together quite nicely. :)
    Bonnie @ Sweet Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie! You should join -- you still have time to enter if you want to get in on the giveaway :)

      Delete
  4. I love your poem Christine!! I should have used connector words. I also tried to use only books in my house. Surprisingly, there was not a single book about water or rain. Note to self to fix that.
    You rocked it. *high five*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alysia! It's really hard to not use any connector words at all, so when I saw that Kimberly used some herself, I figured it must be OK :) I kept checking my GoodReads "own" shelf for different words I wanted to use and was surprised how many times I came up empty -- this is truly a challenge when not using the library!

      Delete
    2. Lol! I know right! I tried to use only my books at home. I think I will try the bookstore next time.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic! I love your poem and I love that you are trying to use books you already have. Great job for this first one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, this a lovely feature is a great idea so kudos to the creator. I look forward to more poems of yours!

    My Book Bubble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jade! I think you have 2 more days to enter if you're interested :)

      Delete
  7. Girl you rocked that! Lovely poem you are so clever!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think :)