Sunday, July 22, 2012

You Against Me


You Against MeYou Against Me by Jenny Downham
Source: Purchased
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I could not wait to get my hands on this second book from Jenny Downham after reading her first, Before I Die. It took me about a week and a half to read this one -- not because I didn't like it, but because I didn't want it to end. Knowing the author doesn't have any others published (yet) certainly didn't help.

Just like Before I Die, this book does not deal with an easy subject. The story revolves around Mikey, the brother of a rape victim, Ellie, the sister of the alleged rapist, and the complicated web of relationships involving these two families.

This is another one of those books that really makes you think. You step into the lives of characters who are unflinchingly real and wonder what you would do if you were in their shoes. They are not perfect people and that's what really makes them come alive on the pages.

As you read, all sorts of questions will be flying through your head.  Just how far would you go to protect someone you loved? How important is family loyalty? What would it take for you to turn your back on your own family? When the pressure is on, would you do what is right or what is easy? Does love really conquer all?

Regarding the story itself, who's lying and who's telling the truth? Can a girl who's always been a goody-goody find the courage to start making some waves? And how does the guy who's always been a bit of a ladies-man, reconcile his own actions after his sister has been victimized?

If you want a fluffy summer read, this isn't it. If you want an intriguing and thoughtful book about people dealing with real issues, this IS the book for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think :)