Friday, June 3, 2011

Cherries in Winter


Cherries in Winter: My Family's Recipe for Hope in Hard TimesCherries in Winter: My Family's Recipe for Hope in Hard Times by Suzan Colon
Source: Borrowed from the library
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Even with all the books I have on my shelves, I picked this one up at the library. It is a memoir about a writer who lost her job in the recession and who digs into her Nana’s recipe file to help save some money and learn to live on less. In the meantime, the author also digs into her family’s history and relays some really great stories about her relatives. Many of the stories date back to the Depression, but not all of them. I found the cast of characters endearing and I especially loved the author’s grandfather whom the author was very close with. Overall, this was a quick, enjoyable read. It was perfect train reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think :)