Monday, January 11, 2016

Some Specific Reading Challenges for 2016

Now that we are almost two weeks into the new year, it's about time I finalized my challenge choices for the year. The first two challenges I joined are very broad and encompass all genres and types of books. My goals for those are basically to read what I already own AND to read whatever new books I purchase in 2016. But I also wanted to join a few more specific challenges that focus on the types of books I am most interested in reading in the coming months. So here they are!


In addition to Newbery Medal and Honor books, this challenge also includes Caldecott Medal winners, so I'm definitely in! I love borrowing picture books from the library to read to my son and with SO MANY available, I tend to go on runs of specific authors, illustrators, holidays, themes, etc. So why not focus on some award winners in 2016? Well, that's my new plan! Plus, I have some Newwbery books I've been wanting to read or re-read. I have a few GoodReads shelves to keep track of this challenge: Newbery MedalNewbery Honor, & Caldecott Medal. (I have a Caldecott Honor shelf as well, but those don't count!)

This challenge awards points for each type of book read:

3 points for Newbery Medal
2 points for Newbery Honor
1 point for Caldecott Medal books.

My Goal: Lowry level, 60-74 points


* * * * *


I have SO MANY series I am in the middle of and would like finish. In addition to all the series I started on my own, I have a whole bunch more where I read book #1 for book club, but then never got around to continuing. I am not deluding myself into thinking I will finish them all in 2016, but I'd love to make some progress -- the number I have to choose from is rather ridiculous! I have a GoodReads shelf for all the series I am either working on or would like to start -- and any of them would count!

My Goal: Level 3 (Experienced), 3-6 series


* * * * *


Well, I have to join my own challenge now don't I? I did better than I expected in 2015, so I'm hoping to just keep reading more of these great titles (and re-reading too!) I have a GoodReads shelf with lots of options to choose from.

My Goal: Rabble-Rouser level, 6-9 books


* * * * *


I am completely fascinated by books that bend the rules and use fun, unique ways to tell a story. I have purchased quite a few of these books recently, so I absolutely could not pass up this challenge. Books with letters, diaries, emails, I.M.'s, drawings/photos, footnotes --etc. etc. are included in this challenge. I'm including novels in verse as choices on my GoodReads shelf for this challenge as well as books with unique kinds of illustrations (like paper cutting) and unique adaptations of original works (like Fable Comics, etc.) Truthfully, I am on the fence about some of the other illustrated books I've added to the shelf, so I will have to use my judgement as to whether or not they are truly unique once I see them in person. So consider that GoodReads shelf a work in progress :) 

My Goal: Uniquely Great level, 10 books


* * * * *


And finally, a challenge I really need to help clear my shelves of ARCs! I've taken a major step back from review copies; however, I still have a shelf full of ARCs (mostly from Shelf Awareness, but also from giveaways, etc.) I never got around to and I feel guilty every time I look at them. I filled out too many request forms, entered too many sweepstakes, and before I knew it, I had more books than I could possibly review and I ended up going on a blogging break! When I came back, they already felt *late* so I just started avoiding them altogether. I gave a friend some for her Little Free Library, but I still have more I really would like to read and review before passing them on. I like that this challenge puts a positive spin on things instead of focusing on the guilt/shame of unread review copies. The guilt clearly hasn't worked, so maybe a "better late than never" approach will give me the nudge I need to finally pick them up. I'll be working my way through this GoodReads shelf.

Note: Nicole over at The Reader's Antidote has said this challenge will be returning for 2016, but I haven't seen the official sign-up yet. I've decided this is something I need regardless, so I'm unofficially joining based on last year's information. I will update the link and badge if/when the new challenge goes live.

My Goal: 12 old ARCs/review books

* * * * *

Click the challenge badges above to visit the host sites for more info or to sign up! And if you are joining these or any other challenges in 2016, I wish you the best of luck! Happy reading :)


15 comments:

  1. I was going to recommend "Where'd You Go Bernadette?" for the unique formatting challenge, but it seems you've already read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have! I listened to it on audio though. I'd love to check a print copy out of the library sometime to see all the visual stuff though.

      Delete
  2. I really need to get my goodreads shelves in better order! It is a great idea to sort them out to help with your challenges. I wish you the best of luck! I think it is a great goal to try to read some of those award winners. :D I also love the unique formatting challenge. I always love a story that is written in a unique way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! It really helps I think, so I know my choices from what I already have.

      And that Unique Formatting one really solidified my decision to go ahead with a few challenges this year -- it was just too fun to pass up! And I SERIOUSLY need to read Illuminae, so there's that :)

      Delete
    2. You seriously do need to read Illuminae! :D

      Delete
  3. Wow, looks like you've signed up for some awesome reading challenges this year!! They look like a lot of fun. Happy reading!!

    I am

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it's not a part of the challenge, but for kidlit, I've also been looking at the Charlotte Zolotow Award. It's like the Caldecott, only for the writing rather than the illustrations... I'm thinking those might be more stimulating for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I definitely need to check out that Award too! I had never heard of it before.

      Delete
  5. Ooh these are some fun challenges. Thanks for joining the Unique Formatting challenge (I have a post scheduled for this Friday with some other ideas if you need help!).

    I like the Series Finish challenge too. there are so many series I need to finish. I need to start a lot too so one of my challenges this year is about starting series! :)

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I will definitely check out that post -- I love lists...probably a little bit too much. My GR shelf for this challenge started with about a dozen books, but I just kept looking for more :)

      Delete
  6. Admire your commitment to challenges! (I did see somewhere there was a challenge for the number of challenges you've signed up for!). I've signed up for a couple this year but my focus is reading from the books I already own (although in doing so, could probably squeeze in the Better Late Than Never challenge...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that one too! The Reading Challenge Addicts Challenge (or something like that!) I've tried to rein myself in from the first year when I did over a dozen (that is TOO MANY!) but I can't resist using a few to help focus my reading. And I make sure to choose challenges where I can read a lot of what I already own -- so a win-win! Good luck reading from your shelves this year!

      Delete
  7. Ooh, I'd missed the challenge for old ARCs! I'm trying to read more of the books I won this year and old ARCs are definitely a big part of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that it is February, I don't think the ARC challenge is officially happening for 2016, but I'm unofficially joining last year's -- I just love the approach of that one. I couldn't bring myself to join the similar "Blogger Shame" challenge I saw for 2016 -- I don't know if it's worked for other people, but shaming myself into reading anything has never worked for me!

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think :)