Sunday, February 17, 2013

This Week's Bookish Finds

Once again, thanks to Kay of It's a Book Life for inspiring me to put one of these weekly posts together!

1. And I'll start off with a Teaser Tuesday from Kay's blog. I'll be honest, I don't usually read posts from this particular meme and I've never had any interest in participating myself, but the second teaser quote she used had me laughing uncontrollably. If you've ever had the pleasure of being the sober one around a bunch of drunk people, you'll appreciate it too.

photo credit: angelsk via photopin cc
2. Audio Books: Do They Count? -- Apparently there are people who don't think they do. This post from A Bookworm Belle totally outraged me. Read it and you'll be outraged too. The things that come out of some people's mouths. Honestly.

3. Did you know that Louisa May Alcott preferred to write smut and violence? Or that Maya Angelou wrote I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings on dare? I didn't either. Check out some other interesting literary tidbits (and more information on these two) over on BookRiot in this post: Ten Things You Didn't Know About Books and Authors You Had to Read in High School.

Falling Under (Falling Under, #1)4. This one isn't new, but if anyone else happens to have read Gwen Hayes' Falling Under which I reviewed recently, I spotted this exclusive scene told from Hayden's point of view that was posted over on Dark Faerie Tales last summer.

5. This one isn't book related, but it's a really sweet essay over on The Yellow House posted just in time for Valentine's Day. The writer reflects on her family and the legacy of her grandparents who had 17 children. Yes, you read that correctly.

6. But if Valentine's Day isn't your thing and you're totally sick of all the lovey dovey crap you've been seeing all week, check out this Valentines Schmalentines post from Nightmare on Bookstreet. It's a little bit serious, but mostly funny and features some rather interesting artwork.

photo from Shelf-Awareness

7. And last, but not least, we have A Brief History of the 'Sorcerer's Stone' Covers over on Hypable that takes us back through the years and across the continents, showing us many of the different visual reincarnations of this beloved series. I was surprised to find a US cover I had never seen before -- a pretty rare Scholastic School Market edition (for more about my childhood love of Scholastic, check out this post.) This, of course, comes on the heels of the announcement about the upcoming release of the new 15th anniversary paperback editions of the books with amazing new cover artwork (eeee!)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for mentioning me! I finished that book on my Teaser Tuesday post and it was really good!

    I love that you are doing a post like this every week too! We always have different items and that makes it so much fun.

    I don't see how an audio book doesn't count!? Some people are just snobbish.

    I loved the post about the Top Ten Bookish things you didn't know. Thank you for introducing that to me! The last one about The Lottery... what?!?!

    I posted the new HP book cover too. When I first heard the news I wasn't happy, and then I saw the cover and I was in love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And I'm really glad we didn't cross over except for the Harry Potter news. I don't really think I'll do a post every week, but there were too many good things to share these last two weeks :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Christine, I enjoyed your weekly round-up. I do a Saturday post that is similar called Weekend Writing Finds. It's a semi-regular feature depending on what I've run across during the week. The idea was inspired by John Jantsch's Weekend Favs over at Duct Tape Marketing. We blog in different arenas and have different audiences but I liked the idea and it's pretty quick to do since I bookmark sites during the week.

    It's always fun to read snippets about authors and to read controversial pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen similar posts all over and it reminds me a bit of Friday Link Love and all the other incarnations. I'm sure it's not an original idea, but you are right - with all the posts we see throughout the week, it's easy enough to save up the good stuff to share. Thanks for reading this one :)

      Delete
  3. Great post Christine!! I have to admit I am an Audiobook lover and I am not going to get my blood pressure up by reading that post. Thanks for letting me know about it but.... you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That post is quite short, but it details a conversation the blogger had with someone at work about audiobooks and if you're a audiobook lover, it just might raise your BP, so it's probably smart to just take note and move on!

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think :)