Tuesday, January 24, 2012

One for the Money

One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1)One for the Money by Janet Evanovich
Source: Purchased
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In anticipation of the upcoming release of the movie One for the Money, I finally dug out my copies of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels. I actually read One for the Money a few years ago after finding a cache of the books at a local yard sale for 10¢ a piece. I liked the book, but was so busy at the time that it took me a long time to finish such a relatively short book and I didn't really get "into" it.  As a result, I never read any of the subsequent books. I did, however, lend them to my aunt and grandma who have been raving about them ever since.


Well, I decided to try again and finished One for the Money on a recent train ride (perfect train reading, by the way). When read at a quicker pace, I was happy to discover my relatives were right.  The first installment was entertaining and, at times, hilarious. Some of the situations newly minted bounty hunter Stephanie Plum gets herself into are downright ridiculous. There was just enough mystery and danger to make the story seem realistic, but the characters of Stephanie and Joe Morelli, a man with whom she has a complicated history, were the real gems in this book. Grandma Mazur also provides some familial comic relief.  I liked the cast of supporting characters as well. Needless to say, I promptly dove into the second novel Two for the Dough and look forward to reading the rest of the series.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think :)